Wednesday 13 February 2013

Wearing a Mexican Skirt


I’m not sure if I should share this with you.  I remember when lamb shanks cost next to nothing, the Wee Girl and I would have a roast, one each, just the two of us.  Now they’re some kind of luxury item – seriously?  Skirt is the same, cheap, cheap, cheap!  And now you’ll all know of its awesomeness and go out and buy it and push up the prices – that’s bad!!

I’ve mentioned skirt before; bashing it out and using it for involtini, but this time I thought I’d go Mexican and just barbecue it neat with a dry spice rub.  Apparently hard and fast is the way to cook skirt (and the way I like it), then sliced against the grain.  Okay, I’ll bite the bullet and do that.  We LOVE Mexican.  So dry spiced skirt, potatas bravas, black beans and tortillas.



Himself was off at football training but not deterred I got the charcoal fire started myself*.  I rubbed the delicious F&B skirt with hot smoked paprika, crumbled dried oregano leaves, all spice and a waft of ground cinnamon.  I finished it with salt and olive oil, rubby rubby and left it to think about itself.



I found some potatoes in the cupboard starting to sprout (oops!) cut off the sprouting bits to plant in the garden (oh yes!) and chopped the rest up, tossed in olive oil then in a 200c oven.  The two other things to make my Mexican meal legit were black beans and tortillas (didn’t bother making my own, went unrepentantly Old El Paso).  When the potatoes were nearly done, and the coals all white I quickly chopped up some onions, garlic and chilli then browned them in olive oil and threw in the black beans with most their juice and warmed them.  I wrapped the tortillas in foil and put them in the oven to warm.  Then I raced outside and threw the skirt with a flourish on the barbecue, two minutes on each side.



Took the steak back inside (followed by Dog #1 and Dog #2) sliced it up and served with the tortillas, beans and potatoes topped with hot taco sauce (that’s the bravas bit).  IT WAS AMAZING!! Ohmigod so delicious - so delicious I text two long suffering friends with pictures (which I’ve also helpfully attached here).



I didn’t wait for Himself to get home from training, I’m afraid that imagining the steak and potatoes having to be re-heated instead of being eaten at their peak was too much for me so I scoffed it all in record time.  Not 20 minutes after I finished Himself came home yelling through the door that he couldn’t believe I didn’t wait (I may have text him telling him I couldn’t).  So I carefully heated his in the oven and then sat at the table demanding he give me a blow by blow account of how awesome it was**.

There is no recipe, it was all by eye, sorry beautiful people!





*that’s right Himself!! BY MYSELF
**totes it was.

No comments: