Monday 4 February 2013

Breakfast at my BFF’s Favourite Café


You know what’s a drag? Wanting to relax on a Sunday, hang out at a café and let someone cook for you.  The reason this is a drag? Because generally, I can cook whatever I order as at least as well, or sometimes even better.  There is one fab café that’s about 5km away that’s really nice.  I’m not going to tell you where it is because it’s my secret.

But generally, within walking distance of my house – they’re all okay, but when you can cook it yourself better you do tend to resent the $40 - $50 price tag that comes with it.  So why didn’t I go to my favourite secret café you ask? Because himself had taken the car to go play golf.  We’re having a bit of an ongoing battle at the moment; I say we need a second, small car.  He says he likes having his motorbike better.  I’m considering finding a motorcycle trailer for his golf clubs – then he can take himself to golf, on his bike… So add your comments! Tell Himself how much we need that second car!! But I digress…

So no car.  BFF (who I’d planned to have breakfast with also had no car). We (I) dithered for a while deciding what to do until BFF finally demanded that she be able to go to her favourite café, the FBJ Café.  Damn, that means cooking on a Sunday morning.  But fine, we can do that I say.  Hooray!! She says back, and goes to catch the bus.

While she’s arranging her public transport I go out hunter gathering.  There is a fruit & Veg shop about five minutes walk down the road so I headed down there for eggs, bread, cream and bananas as I’d decided by then what to cook.  We had bacon (thank goodness!) so I just needed the extras to make my AMAZING Two Bs French Toast (with Bacon & Banana)*.  Really? I hear you say in disbelief bacon and banana?? – Totes, trust me on this.

I had grabbed everything I needed, then on my way out of the fruit shop I spied some very ripe figs in a tray (fig season, hooray!!) so stopped, grabbed them, walked back inside and paid for them as well.

When I get back home BFF has arrived, she’s busy clearing the kitchen benches ready for our cooking bonanza.  She’s also heating up a couple of tea pots (why have one type of tea when you can have two?) 

 
I am actually a bit of a tea junkie (as well as the other type of junkie) and have a collection of pots, tea cups, strainers, creamers and teas.  BTW I mostly buy my tea from The Tea Centre – I ditched T2 when I found out they were owned by Coca-Cola, besides, the Tea Centre’s teas are far superior…  I’m a bit full on about the whole thing (no you say, you, full on?).  I used to be a short black drinker until it started upsetting my stomach to such an extent Himself threatened to start sleeping in another room, so tea it is.  And before you suggest decaf, it’s not the caffeine…

So we set the table with a perty tablecloth, laid out all the tea paraphernalia and got cooking.  I was in charge of the French Toast and BFF got to work on the figs.  After much discussion and brain-storming we came up with a grilled fig recipe that was so amazing I’m at loathe sharing it with you… But I will.  Quarter the figs, drizzle with honey (I had some F&B Malfoy’s Gold) a touch of truffle oil (yes) and the barest bit of salt.  As a preference, I use Murray Pink Salt.  I used to be a Maldon junkie, thanks to all the British cooking shows I watch, but then decided to support Australian (go me).  Besides – pink salt looks lovely (especially on the rims of margarita glasses… just saying).  Grill the figs until golden and juicy and serve in a pretty bowl.


Once all the food was cooked we sat down and devoured the whole lot, French Toast for breakfast main then Figs for breakfast dessert.  BFF had actually not eaten all her French Toast and started using it to soak up the girly pink fig juice, which we decided was so good, it was entirely possible that the figs could be an alternate topping for the FT in the future.  It was fun, there was eating.

*Listen for the howls of protest when himself realises what I cooked while he was out golfing

2 comments:

Mrs Feather said...

Oh my heavens. I'm weeping with jealousy and desire, that sounds SOOOOOOO good. Pig's bum.

Mandy said...

Wow, that does sound delicious... I will definitely have to check out the fig, honey truffle recipe.