Wednesday 6 February 2013

In the Immortal Words of Wa Wa Nee


Oh my lover ‘n me, oh we’re sugar free…

Actually, we’re not.  Poor sugar, it’s the latest in a long line of daemon foods – first salt, then fat and now sugar is the devil’s white spawn.  Why is it so hard for people to understand ‘everything in moderation’?

Himself and I were discussing this latest tiresome witch hunt; I try not to add too much extra sugar to things like tea, I’m not particularly a sweet tooth so don’t have masses of sweet things during the day and desserts are very rare on an average night.  I even prefer sour cocktails to their sweeter counterparts!  But Himself decided to not have any added sugar (or even fruit) for a week to see how it went.  I’ve read those self-righteous articles on-line about people who have ‘beaten their sugar addiction!* - what a bore.  So back to Himself.  When he got home he was craving something sweet, but ignored it.  We’re also trying to cut back a bit on alcohol, this is also proving tough, I love a glass of wine while I’m cooking**!

We had dinner (Mapo Tofu) which was delicious.  I had bought some bananas on the weekend, and because the Wee Girl is away (bananaholic) there is still a heap in the bowl.  Best do something with them.  How about dessert?  I do a cracking ‘Bananas in Butterscotch Sauce’ which we enjoy occasionally.  So I sauntered out of the room I was in and said to Wa Wa Nee Sugar Free “I guess you won’t want dessert?  Dammit! I knew you were going to ask that – of course I want dessert!  Okay, says I.

I’ve been watching way too much English Masterchef lately so lots of chefy presentation has been going on.  Usually the bananas are caramelised, plopped in a bowl, sauce poured on top with a scoop of ice-cream.  Today though, I decided to make it to look smashing as well.

So I cooked the bananas in melted butter and brown sugar over a low heat (I always use salted butter as I think it gives it that ‘salted caramel’ angle.)  Once the bananas were caramalised I artfully placed them on some square white plates we have.  I then added passionfruit pulp to the pan (for tartness) and some cream to turn the butter/sugar into butterscotch sauce.  I carefully scooped some vanilla ice-cream onto the opposite corner of the plate and trickled (I didn’t drizzle) the sauce over the bananas.  I then rested two dark chocolate and orange sticks*** against the ice-cream.  It looked fantastic (alas, I forgot to take a picture before we hoed in!!) very posh.

Once we finished licking the plates it was decided being sugar free and alcohol free would not make you live longer – it would just feel that way.

Maybe I’ll make it again tomorrow night – purely for photographic reasons you understand… I would hate for you all to miss out on how gorgeous it looked, and there are more bananas, it would be terrible if they went to waste…


*There’s probably a 10 step program for it now “Hi, my name’s FBJ and I’m a sugaholic”
**I love a glass of wine when I get home from work, when I’m cooking, with dinner, after dinner…
***received the sticks in a Christmas hamper – the good thing about not being a sweet obsessed family is we always tend to have this stuff lying around waiting for the perfect opportunity to use them in desserts etc.

No comments: