Monday 4 April 2011

Who Knew?

Monday, 4th April 2011
We'll start with veal neck...

Here is the recipe provided by F&B:

This recipe for slow-roasted veal neck or shoulder. Mix up fresh rosemary, garlic, anchovies, salt, pepper and olive oil and marinate a 2 kg piece of Geebung organic or Tillabudgery biodynamic angus veal neck overnight in a covered dish. Cook slowly in the oven - covered - on 80c for about five or six hours then whack it in a hot bbq for 10 minutes. Rest for 30 minutes and prepare to ascend to heaven.

So I had a lunch to go to yesterday, Persian theme (due to it being Persian new year). So instead of the anchovies and rosemary I googled a spice rub from Bahrain (close enough!) and rubbed into the veal neck...

Bizar a' Shuwa spice rub
1 tblsp cardamom seeds ground
1 tblsp cumin seeds ground
1 tblsp coriander seeds ground
2 tsp chilli powder
1/2 tsp turmeric
2 cloves garlic crushed
3 tblsp vinegar
salt

mix together and rub over veal!  I then followed the cooking instructions provided by F&B (added a small glass of water when roasting)  it was AWESOME!! reduced the juices (after skimming the fat) with dried figs and apricots and served that as a sauce... everyone loved it and I was pretty chuffed considering it was a cut most people would turn their noses up at!  I will definitely be getting one again for next bbq I go to!

I have just ordered half a lamb for the chest freezer - I'll keep you posted on the experiments therein... I have this rolled lamb breast recipe from Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall I've been meaning to try...

No comments: