Monday 4 April 2011

Sensational Sweet & Sour...

So I dug some gorgeous free range pork fillet out of the chest freezer (it was a prime cut night)... Decided to do an old school Sweet and Sour Pork...

Got this recipe out of a 20 year old cookbook of mine - Australian Brand Name Cookbook - recipe by Golden Circle (unbelievable but true)

500g free range pork fillet (they didn't say that, but I reckon it made the dish)
1 tbsp soy sauce
1 tbsp dry sherry (I used sweet!)
1.5 tbsp plain flour
3 tsp corn flour
water
sufficient oil to fry

Sauce
1 red capsicum
1 green capsicum
1 stalk celery
1 onion
2 tbsp oil
2 tbsp soy
1/2 tsp finely chopped fresh ginger
2 tbsp  brown sugar
1 tbsp brown malt vinegar
2 tbsp tomato sauce
450g can pineapple pieces
2 tsp cornflour blended with 1/2 cup pineapple liquid

Cut veges into 1.5 cm squares, heat oil and fry until softening.
mix together soy, ginger, sugar, vinegar, tomato sauce and add to veges, stir through pineapple pieces and the pineapple juice and cornflour. heat until thickened
keep warm
dice pork and toss well in soy sauce, sherry, flour and cornflour (I added a bit more water to make it slightly less thick)
fry in hot oil until golden and crisp (I was cooking prawn crackers in the oil, that's how I knew it was hot enough and then we got the prawn crackers too - yum)
re-heat sauce and stir through pork
serve with rice...

The boy was weeping with gratitude from this dish... then accused me of holding out on him... "we've been living together for 6 years and it's the first time I've had this????"

I reckon it was the pork that made it that sensational - try it free range people!

No comments: