Sunday 7 April 2013

An Indian Chianina

I was lucky enough to take delivery of a box full of delicious Chianina beef from my good friends at Feather and Bone last week.  On occasion they do a bit of bulk selling where they'll break up one or two whole carcasses and sell them as a box 'o flesh.  It's always very exciting to see what you'll get, but usually an 80/20 mix of secondary and prime1 cuts.  For the prime cuts I was lucky enough to get 2 beautiful pieces - a bistecca (thick cut t-bone) and another which will stay between me and my chest freezer for now2.

I cooked the bistecca up last weekend - Himself and I enjoyed it very much, I may have bragged about it on Faceplant.

But! Enough of prime cuts - they're boring (and delicious).  Today I decided to do a curry.  A hot curry.  Hmmmm beef + hot curry = vindaloo! hooray for vindaloo!!  So pulled out one of my trusty Indian cookbooks and mixed up a heady spice mix of cardamom, black pepper, dried chilli, turmeric  cumin, coriander, cinnamon, fenugreek4, white vinegar and dark vinegar.  Apparently vindaloo was developed by the Portuguese in Goa and roughly translates to vinegar and garlic (10 cloves no less!! but that's later).



I pulled a 1.5kg bag of meat from Falkor5 helpfully labelled 'braising beef' and mixed it into the spice/vinegar mix.  The smell coming off that marinade was absolutely amazing - shame I don't have smell-o-blog here.  I then left it to think about itself while I enjoyed an afternoon at the Art Gallery (as you do).

I'm lucky enough to be in possession  of a pressure cooker which was lent to me by a dear friend6 so used that to cook up my soon to be vindaloo, after browning my onion, adding ginger julienne and mountains of garlic.  



Once it was cooked until tender I took the lid off and let it simmer for another hour to develop the flavours (and I may have been busy chatting to the Wee Girl on Skype in Italy).  There was a big look of disgust on her face when she found out it was curry night.  While she's lovin' la bella vita Italiana she's missing the multi-cultural aspect of home where every cuisine is fair go.

I then served with some dal tarka (you have got to try that recipe - it is the shit) and ready made lacha paratha.  I would have loved some rumali roti but can't seem to find any in my neck of the woods - don't these local Indian shops realise I'm in desperate need of some rumali in my life???  

A tip for you all, frozen lacha paratha can be cooked with great success in a sandwich press - we find 2 min 20 sec with the toaster open to the first notch is paratha perfection.



And then we ate it. It was delicious - It was one of those slow burners - okay at the beginning, lip tingling at the end; a sign of excellent hotness. So go get some home made Chianina Vindaloo into ya! Here's the recipe.

1 Which, incidentally is how it comes on the cow - so all your prime cut eaters are wasting 80% of utter deliciousness... sucks to be you!
I'm keeping it close to my chest3
3 See what I did there?
4 Fenugreek is the uber 'curry' smelling spice
5 I mention my chest freezer so much I figured I'd give it a name
6 How good are pressure cookers????

No comments: