Sunday 30 December 2012

A Beautiful Day to have a Sore Stomach



Yesterday I woke up with my stomach sore but not sick any more (queue angel chorus… hallelujah!) Himself pointed out it was a gorgeous sunny day (it was) so we should sight-see (we should).  I agreed with trepidation as I wasn’t sure gambolling around with a still precious stomach was the way forward for me.

We went down to a diner for breakfast (we’d tried it the night before where I’d had my first solids of the day - dry toasted bagel and French onion soup mmmm; Himself had ordered a chilli burger. Do you want to know what that is? It’s a hamburger (with patty) and chilli con carne then poured over the top. With fries.  Apparently the con carne was delicious so I’ll need to try it (sans the patty and bun) for lunch soon.  Still being cautious I ordered a plain waffle with fresh strawberries.  The best part of breakfast was an American couple who came in and the man ordered pancakes… with a side of fries.  Brilliant.

After breakfast we walked (slowly) over the Brooklyn Bridge; then had a little break for the old invalid. Then across to the 9/11 sight which is still a construction site.  There’s a very beautiful building going up there plus a really zen memorial. Then (slowly) down to Wall Street.  There’s a barricade around the New York Stock Exchange to keep all the annoying tourists away.   Then another rest and lunch then down to Battery Park.  We saw the Statue of Liberty from afar and were very disappointed to find out that you can’t visit Liberty Island at the moment due to Hurricane Sandy damage.  As the lines for the ferry cruise around the island were snaking around the park we decided to come back another morning first thing for that particular experience.

Back to the apartment (slowly) for a rest.  A two and a half hour nanna for the invalid then some mooching around before our evening’s activity.  I was a bit worried, it was Jersey Boys and then a very late dinner.  Would I survive?? This is one of the highlights of my trip!!  So we got dressed and caught a taxi uptown.

As an aside, the taxi drivers in New York are CRAZY! Buckle up kids – you’re in for a bumpy ride.  Argh!!  We decided on a small snack before the show so we weren’t chewing each other’s arms off before dinner so we went to a Mexican fast food place for a burrito.  We decided to have one between the two of us and it was still HUGE.  I think even on a normal day we could share one for lunch.  Himself is starting to feel the effects of New York food.  Happily, due to my 24 hour crash diet I’m okay.

Jersey Boys was fantastic for me, okay for Himself.  The guy who played Frankie Valli had the most amazing voice, the harmonies were divine and you spend half the time not quite believing the music is live.  Even Himself who can’t stand musicals admitted that yes, it was very good (but remains unmoved on his anti-musical stance).

Dinner afterwards was after another exciting taxi ride closer to home.  It was at a restaurant called One if by Land, Two if by Sea.  Great name.  When we arrived (at 11:15pm) there were still quite a few people there but plenty of tables.  They proceeded to take us to an upstairs bit that smelt of kitchen grease with a rockin’ table.  One of the bus boys noticed us playing with table and when he came to fix it I asked politely to be moved.  So duly we were moved (thank goodness) to the much more attractive (and much less stinky) downstairs.  Dinner was nice. Nothing special, slightly under seasoned.  Are we utter food snobs? Yes, alas I think so. Our waiter was lovely though.

By the time dessert came we were totally stuffed due to the burrito earlier – why dessert you ask? It was three course fixed price (or fixe prix as they say here) so no choice.  But the brilliant thing about NY is they always offer to pack things to go.  They have lovely bags and containers to put it all in.  Brilliant! Will you pack my cheese? Of course ma’am.  So we trotted home with a lovely bag full of cheese for tomorrow’s afternoon mooch around the apartment.

  
Here’s a picture of my ‘to go’ bag in our ‘gourmet’ kitchen… I laugh whenever I see our ‘gourmet’ (as per the advertising speil) kitchen.  Three cups on the bench and there won’t be much room for no gourmet cookin’…

No comments: