Wednesday 29 August 2012

I Have a Complaint!!


That’s right Mrs Feather! I HAVE A COMPLAINT – about that mutton you sold me.  I purchased some of your Moorlands Biodynamic Texel Cross Mutton. Mutton is supposed to be tough; tough and strong! So I planned a curry for my mutton due to the fact curry is known for tenderising the most stubborn of meats. 

Thanks to my new cookbook by Pushpesh Pant (I may have bought it just because of the author’s name…) I decided to cook Mutton Kolhapuri.  Cook for several hours it says.  I warned Himself and the Wee Girl that dinner might be late. I started the recipe in the morning, marinating the mutton and making the masala paste.  I then race home to get it cooking and then what happens? After browning the mutton, adding the masala paste and water then cooking for a mere hour the mutton was soft and unctuous! Falling apart! I then stirred through some fried potato cubes and fresh coriander. What game are you playing at Mrs Feather? Passing off some of your delectable meat as something which is much maligned and spurned by the Aussie cook, is way uncool.  Are you sure it wasn’t Hogget?

Here’s some I prepared earlier:



We had it with lacha paratha, pickle and sweet lassi (recipe also thanks to Mr Pant). I would love to say the mutton had us panting with pleasure and perhaps it did.

I’ve also added the recipe to my All New! Recipe section which I expect you to go to, print out and then race down the factory, grab some of your mutton and cook up this wonderful dish too.

Yours in muttonation,
FBJ

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Himself didn't get no sweet lassi!!! What kind of 5 star restaurant is this...

The Feather and Bone Junkie said...

Oh well Himself, you will go out playing football all night. Kitchen closes at 9...

Anonymous said...

Dear FBJ, did you really think that OUR mutton would be some tough old boiler you'd get from the knackers down the road?? Seriously, though, in our humble experience, mutton does have a more intense flavour and is certainly tougher than wee

lambikins but it's not the leathery old thing you might imagine. Au contraire, as you've discovered. Particularly this mutton which lives on a meticulously tended biodynamic farm run by the wonderful VInce and Janet Heffernan. Your pic had me drooling over my keyboard and I will do just as you instructed. I will nick some mutton out of some unsuspecting customer's box, smuggle it home and attempt to follow your footsteps a la Pant. That, by the way, is far and away the best name I have heard in many a moon. Yours in Pant, Mrs Feather.